Thursday, March 20, 2008

Are you "typical"?

Today, in defending his earlier comments about his grandmother, Barack Obama defended his grandmother by saying she's a typical white person. He said that as a typical white person, when she's walking down the street and sees a black male, she might be afraid based on how she was raised etc. I wish I could find you a good link to the news story, but here's at least one: http://campaignspot.nationalreview.com/post/?q=MDg1MTk0YjQ2YjI1ZDBhNDYzMTA4Y2NhMDA4ZWRlOWU=

I am assuming he is referencing a black male who may not look like he just walked out of an office building......so with that in mind......
what do you think about when you are walking alone down a street and you see someone like this pass? I am going to be brutally honest here. Let me preface by saying I have had the amazing opportunity to work at 2 inner city Atlanta ministries: SafeHouse Outreach which ministers to the homeless and City of Refuge particularly in the areas of their children's ministry in very low-income areas of west Atlanta.
It totally opened my eyes to a world I never knew and that I was admittedly a bit frightened of, but literally only out of ignorance, not out of the color of their skin. I now view an opportunity to speak to a homeless man downtown and wish him good morning as perhaps the only kind words he will hear that day. I view it as an opportunity not to be scared, but to minister. I shouldn't fear that homeless man, I have shown him the courtesy that I show any other person I would greet on the street. There's nothing to fear in saying hello especially when you do it out of the love of God. I have treated him with the respect of wishing him "good day"; after all Christ came so that this man could have life abundantly the same as for me. Now maybe sometimes, when I say good morning he might ask for a dollar and how you handle that is up to you.
When I worked with these men, and had the opportunity to serve them a hot meal, many of them (90%) would look me straight in the eye and say "thank you m'aam, God bless you" That humbled me in a way that I can't truly explain in words.
YOU....YOU know the difference between a man who is just on hard times and a man that might mean you harm. In 2008, at least those of us that live in urban areas, I believe we have the instinct to know the difference.
So to my "caucasian" friends, Ladies, Gentlemen, I ask you, are you "typical" like Barack Obama says that we are or will you view an opportunity when you walk past a black man just like you would anyone else?

No comments: