Wednesday, May 28, 2008

the staffer "tell all"

if you've been under a rock today, you may not have seen all the media buzz about Scott McClellan's new book.
check out http://www.drudgereport.com/ for the latest headlines and articles about his criticisms and revelations about the Bush White House from his point of view. or you can buy his book for a bargain price of $27.95

Anyway, having been a former staffer to 2 US Congressmen and a Governor, I thought I would share my opinion. There is one thing that is not only expected but understood: Loyalty. Unless the boss is doing something illegal or unethical, I think it is incumbent upon the staff to give the boss loyalty and that he or she should be able to trust the staff--even behind closed doors. And I actually do believe whole heartedly that the loyalty doesn't end when a staff person leaves their position. While as a staffer, I may disagree with approaches or decisions of my bosses, I don't feel I am doing anyone a service to go air them out in a public forum and CERTAINLY not while the man in still in office! Again, short of an extramarital affair, unethical or illegal activity, dirty laundry has no business being aired by a former staffer. It just doesn't help the staffers who will have to work extra hard from now on to prove to their bosses that they can be trusted and that they aren't taking notes for the "tell all" book they'll one day write in trying to make the boss look like a fool. The importance of a good and competent staff of people to surround these public figures can not be underestimated.
and truthfully, for my point to be made, whether or not what he said is true, in my opinion, is irrelevant.

The price you pay as a staffer to a Public Figure is, it's not about YOU, it's about THEM.

Can I get an amen? reply and let me know if you applaud McClellan and disagree with me whole heartedly.

2 comments:

Dan McGirt said...

You are correct. I'm not sure what the inflation adjusted value of 30 pieces of silver is, but I'm sure Scott knows.

Anonymous said...

For real!!! AMEN sistah! i have been so irritated by this book.