Friday, May 9, 2008

H & M, you're getting dumped!

I remember the very first time I visited H & M. It was in Boston in January of 2000. I walked in and it was like the birds were chirping and I could hear angels singing. I was blown away by the fun trendy clothes and cheap prices. I still wear the twead skirt I purchased on my very first visit. Since then, I've frequented the H & M's of NYC (in particular the flagship 5th AVE store and the one on LEX) and the H &M in Georgetown/Washington, D.C. At these various urban locales, I have left behind quite a bit of money but always walked out with a large shopping bag full and a smile.....Actually, as I type this, I'm wearing an amazing royal blue cotton blazer purchased in NY's Lex AVE store.....I love this jacket!
About this time last year, H & M announced it's plans to open a store in Atlanta. Hallelujah I thought to myself. Well much to my chagrin and with little fanfare....the first H & M in the South opened yesterday in the SUBURB of Alpharetta to be apparently followed shortly by it's "flagship store" in Atlantic Station and 2 other stores in the outer Atlanta suburbs of Buford (Mall of Georgia) and Kennesaw (Town Center at Cobb). I had no idea H & M was trying to turn into the GAP. when is the last time you bought something at the GAP?? I mean, Kennesaw and Buford??? come on people, what's urban and cool and trendy about those 2 places, nothing but teenie boppers and moms will be shopping there making it VERY unlikely that I will want to wear anything from there.
I know this makes me sound like a snob, but the cool thing about H & M was that it was more urban and NOT everywhere. Certainly not at the gigantic suburban mall.
I'm sad......can you tell? I am also apparently an ITP snob!
Bye bye, H & M. I'm sorry we have to break up, but you're not who I thought you were.....I wish you all the best and hope your new lovers----teens, tweens, suburban moms, & rural dwellers coming in from the really outer stretches of GA for a big day out of shopping---are as good to you as I have been for the past 8 years!!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

No kidding! When I was down there last weekend, I saw there was one going in somewhere, and I was like, "WOW, I guess H&M has officially lost its cache." Of course, I also wondered what took them so long? It's like the next Starbucks of discount clothing.

Anonymous said...

You obviously are a sad pathetic thing! I am from NYC lived in the Village for years before I moved here for a job opportunity in Atlanta. I lived in the city, Highlands to be exact, sold my house when I married and moved to Marietta to open a restaurant with my husband. I love shopping and visit NY frequently, as well as Miami and the SHORT drive to Atlanta. When I heard of the opening of H&M at Town Center I too was bummed to say that it was not so fab, but thrilled I do not have to go so far. You are such a small minded woman with probably a large waist and that is why you need, I mean you have to say good bye to H&M! Good we don't want you wannabe type anyway.

CHAO!!!