Thursday, December 31, 2009

the last decade

wow, it's hard to believe it's been 10 years since I began my professional career and my hopskotch all along the east coast.
2000--kicked off the new year with friends at a party in DC. I was just about to begin a job with Congressman Nathan Deal in DC after having moved over from Bob Barr's office. In the summer of 2000, he promoted me to Legislative Assistant.
2002--I decided to return to the homeland--GA--with the hopes of working for Sonny Perdue, a long shot candidate for Governor. Well sure enough, he hired me and I got to help him win in the biggest gubernational upset in the country that year. Election Night 2002 was a highlight of my life and career. Sheer elation!
2003-2006--worked in Governor Perdue's office and took the plunge in 2004 to live alone. Haven't regretted ever living alone since then. I think I might like it too much!
2006--got the itch to the leave the Governor's office and was given a very unique opportunity to move to NYC and work at FOX NEWS. It was an amazing experience. Both personally and professionally. However, I learned quickly that working in TV full time was just not for me.
So, after 5 months, I returned to GA.
2007--after returning from NYC, I took 2 months off to take a breath and job hunt. Then along came Verizon with the perfect job.
2009--Verizon promoted me in January and began to commute back and forth from Atlanta to Tampa. In April, I moved to Tampa to a great house right near downtown. Adjusting to life in Florida has been slow going, but I really can't complain.
I do sometimes miss NYC, DC, and Atlanta and can't help but wonder where my journey will take me next.
Along my journey in the past decade, people have certainly come and go out of my life. Especially men. ;) But there are things that have remained steady. My pursuit of my relationship with Jesus, without Him I am nothing. The circumstances of the last ten years, have proved God's hand in my life and His faithfulness.
The closeness of my family, even across the miles, my parents have been such rocks in my life. My close girlfriends, many of which are former roommates and most I have now known for at least 10 years, still continue to be there for me and such a blessing in my life. I hope I have been a blessing to them as well.
So, as if I'm giving some sort of thank you speech, I'd like to acknowledge the following people for their influence and presence in my life.
Jesus, mom, dad, Sonny and Mary Perdue, Andy Stanley, Cam, Courtney, Carrie, Lauren, Monty, Kimberley, Kacy, Mitch, Mandy, my small groups, Kenneth, Molly, Robert, all my former chiefs of staff, Maria, Bob. I could probably go on, but that's all for now.
I'm excited about the next 10 years and what God has in store. I have learned in the past 10 years to not try to predict what's next. Only God knows.

4 comments:

Courtney Carswell said...

Wow! Excellent reflections! What a great and interesting decade this has been for you! I'm sure the next ten years will hold many more accomplishments and happy times. Oh, and thanks for the shout out! You have most definitely been a blessing to me!

Unknown said...

May your next 10 years be even better than the last!!!

Kimberley said...

hey...i'm in your blog!! cool! you're a precious friend. thanks, especially for your faithful prayers! hope we get to see you before too long...until then, thank God for technology!

Maroussia said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.